Thursday, December 22, 2005

Are you a Practicing Member of your Organization?

Word of Mouth Marketing and Buzz Marketing are often talked about with terminology borrowed from religion. Corporate Evangelists and Advocates to just name two. So as I was driving to work this morning, I asked myself, "Do you participate in the organization?" I started mulling over how people participate and I thought of how people could be categorized as participating in their religion.
  • I have to go because I always have.
  • I go because it is the right thing to do.
  • I go because I don't know what else to do.
  • I go because there are free donuts

Now Consider these:

  • I go because I am a valued member of the community and people there are counting on me.
  • I go because I am so excited about the vision and where the organization is going.
  • I would not think of missing because it is part of who I am.
  • I look forward to going as a highlight of my week.

It is easier to understand this in a religious setting. Your job as a leader is to inspire people to be on the second list, and those people will create word of mouth and buzz for you.

Now, as a business leader, ask yourself where your employees and clients fall on this list.

Create raving fans who are engaged with the organization and buzz will grow.