Monday, January 23, 2006

Success and Silence

Today I did a presentation at a large accounting firm about buzz. Very early in the presentation I asked them a simple question: "What are your success stories?" I did not get a response. So I gave them some of my own examples, and asked again. We finally got people talking and a few of them shared their stories. This is a hugely successful firm that saves people millions all the time, but did not know what their successes were. One of the partners after the presentation said, "You nailed it when you asked that question. We do not know enough about our own successes to be able to tell others." One of the keys to creating more buzz with your employees and your existing customers is to celebrate your successes on a regular basis. Make people aware of those things that go above and beyond the norm. Make sure everyone knows what makes you remarkable and encourage them to tell more people.