Monday, January 09, 2006

Blogging and Speaking

One way to create buzz is to give more speeches. How do you get more quality speaking engagements? Blog. Short of writing a best seller, blogging is one of the best ways to build up your credibility and get in front of more people. In the next eight weeks, I have ten paid speaking engagements, which is more than all of last year. What else can help you get speaking opportunities?
  • Have a new approach to a common problem.
  • Have a good story to tell.
  • Have enthusiasm and believe what you tell people.
  • Practice speaking regularly
  • Let people know that you speak, want speaking opportunities and what you speak about.
  • Write a best seller. (OK, I am padding my list with the obvious now)
  • Know what your speaking fees are in advance so you are professional if you get an inquiry. I was not expecting some of the opportunities that have come up within 10 miles of my office, and was unsure of how to price them.
  • Repackage the obvious. Is there anything older than word of mouth? No, it is just going through a renaissance currently.

And did I mention blog?