- Have a new approach to a common problem.
- Have a good story to tell.
- Have enthusiasm and believe what you tell people.
- Practice speaking regularly
- Let people know that you speak, want speaking opportunities and what you speak about.
- Write a best seller. (OK, I am padding my list with the obvious now)
- Know what your speaking fees are in advance so you are professional if you get an inquiry. I was not expecting some of the opportunities that have come up within 10 miles of my office, and was unsure of how to price them.
- Repackage the obvious. Is there anything older than word of mouth? No, it is just going through a renaissance currently.
And did I mention blog?