Thursday, June 08, 2006

Dan Tudor Interview #3 - Politics, Religion and Sales

Part 3 in our Landing the Deal Interview with Dan Tudor Ron: You mentioned in one blog post that you lean a bit to the right... what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages for someone's success in sales if they freely talk about religion and/or politics?

Dan: That's a great question. In some situations, I think it could hurt. In others, it could help. Obviously, if I were representing a company or organizations that was selling a specific product or service, I would make those types of conversations rare unless I knew - without a doubt - that a prospect or customer shared my point of view. Otherwise, its got the potential to be damaging to the relationship. Plus, in representing another company, I don't think you have the right to interject too much of your own personal, non-business beliefs into the way you sell.

I agree Dan, and I would say be really sure before you start assuming someone you are talking to shares your views.