- Know what your goal is
- Know how each person on your list can help you achieve your goals
- Know enough about the person that you can carry on an intelligent conversation
- Read trade magazines and belong to appropriate associations to help identify people of interest.
- Ask other people you know about the people on your list (one at a time, don't read the list to them.) You'd be surprised how many of the people you know may know someone that can help you get an introduction.
- If you work hard to meet someone, go the the meeting prepared.
It is good to take advantage of random opportunities, but the fastest road to success is a road well planned, or the lottery.